Saturday 7 April 2012

The Lord of the Rings

The Lord of the Rings itself: Saturn. Taken last night, despite a blazing full moon, freezing conditions and frost clouding up my lenses. I've waited half a year to capture this video on my telescope - Saturn was always below or too low on the horizon. But this was well worth the wait - enjoy!



I processed the video above with the Registax astronomical image stacker to see if I could get a bit more detail and obtained the image below. You can just about make out the dark cloud band in the northern hemisphere, as well as the shadow cast by the planet on the rings. Unfortunately, I was not able to resolve Saturn's rings individually or even show Cassini's division (the gap that divides Saturn's rings into two parts) - probably because I hadn't focussed the telescope sufficiently well on the night. Will try harder next time!





No comments:

Post a Comment